Petit Gâteau in French means “small cake” and that’s exactly what it is. A small cake that has a crunchy rind but a soft and creamy filling, usually accompanied by some vanilla ice cream. The traditional one is made with chocolate, but many other flavors came after that, like dulce de leche, lemon, orange, white chocolate, guava, coffee and even savory versions.
- 125g dark chocolate
- 125g unsalted butter
- 3egg yolks
- 2⁄3cup sugar
- 1⁄3cup all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon Cointreau liqueuror 1 tablespoon vanilla extract(if you don’t like liqueur substitute with vanilla extract)
- Break the chocolate and butter into small pieces, melt them on the microwave under”defrost” for about two minutes, Don’t let it stand too long on the microwave to avoid burning the chocolate.
- With a spoon mix the melted chocolate and butter until smooth.
- On a separate bowl, mix the eggs, egg’s yolks and sugar.
- Beat the mixture on a mixer until almost doubled its size and has a firm consistency.
- Get the melted chocolate and butter mixture and start pouring it in small bits into the bowl with the beaten eggs and keeping beating it gentle and slowly, until it forms one smooth uniform mixture.
- While you still beating the mixture (in a low speed), sprinkles the flour on it and stop the beating after the flour gets incorporated in the mixture.
- turn off the mixer and stir in the cointreau.
- Get the muffin baking sheet with 6/8 holes, rub a little bit of butter and sprinkle flour on the sides of each hole, It will help to get the mini cake out of the mold later(use induvidual muffins sheets, it gives a little bit of more work to do but it is much easier to take the muffin out of the mold).
- Pour the mixture into the mold almost to the top(leave 1cm or so, just for precaution of spelling the dough.
- Pre-heat the oven for about 15 minutes.(low temperature, around 180C.
- On the low heat(180c) put the muffin sheet for about 5 minutes, 7 on the most.(Keep trying to find out the perfect timing that works for you)
- After taking the baking sheet out of the oven let it rest of 2 to 3 minutes and then turn it upside down on a plate (The mini cakes should be hard on the outside enough to hold its original shape and all creamy and melted inside)Get each little cake with caution for not breaking them and put on individual plates.
- Put a ball of vanilla ice-cream on the side, Serve while it is hot!
- P.S.when you spoon the mini cake it will open and a rich creamy filling will pour out.